Wednesday 2 February 2011

Arriba Arepas! (Back to blogging, finally)

Hello again!!! I've finally got back on the Internet after months of only having some awful mobile connection. So it's time to start posting recipes again. We moved out of our old flat back in November and, after much renovation, we're slowly beginning to think of our new place as a home. Unfortunately, I have to admit that the kitchen is probably my least favourite part of our new flat. I still can't find things when I need them, we've got a vitro-ceramic cooker in stead of the old faithful gas stove and there's a serious lack of table space for chopping and preparing food. On the upside, I love the oven where I can finally controle the temperature beyond warm, hot and extremely hot.

Well, time to get cooking. I'll start off with a recipe for Arepas which I made ages ago. If you don't know what arepas are, they are a kind of corn bun from Venezuela and Colombia. You can fill them with anything you'd normally put in your buritos or tacos. I'm terrible sorry I can't remember the exact measures, but I think I usually go by feeling anyway. The dough should bind together without being neither too dry, nor too wet. That probably doesn't mean much, but you can always look at the bag of flour. It has the ratios.
Ingredients
Precooked corn flour (Harina P.A.N.; not the fine kind, but the one that resembles sand in texture, in a yellow bag)
Milk
Butter
Fresh sweet corn (Optional)
Chopped scalion (Optional)
Salt
Shredde cheese (Optional)
Filling according to taste

Warm up the milk untill it just stats to simmer. Add a spoonful of butter into the milk and lt it melt.
Mix the flour and the rest of the ingredients.

Pour over the milk, mix it and press it together to a ball with your hands. Leave it to rest 10 minutes. Remember the flour will absorb the liquid, so better add a bit too much than too little.

Shape the dough by hand into flat patties the size of hamburges. Wet your hands a bit to smooth ot the edges and any cracks in them.

Fry them in oil. Don't touch them straight away or they will stick to the pan. Let them form a crust.

Flip them over once they are golden.

Tap them with a bit of kitchen paper to remove any excess grease. Cut a pocket in them and fill them with chicken, cheese, lettuce, guacamole or whatever you desire.

No comments: