Monday 19 December 2011

No-Name Chocolate Spread

Now, if I were a food manufacturer I could probably get in to all sorts of problems calling this a chocolate spread as it doesn't actually contain any chocolate. But it would probably be less trouble than if I called it Nutella which would clearly infringe the brand name. So I'll stick to chocolate spread and let you decide what to call it. However, I'll dare say that it's way more delicious than the one you buy in the store, and as taste is something individual they can't sue me for that. I'll let you be the judge. Is it healthier? Hey, if you're so concerned about health, don't go putting on chocolate spreads on your bread. Eat an apple. But if you want to indulge and leave the diet for January, try this out. 
Ingredients:
Equal amounts of toasted hazelnuts and butter. I used about 150g of each
2 dl of icing sugar
4 tbsp of cocoa powder (the dark intense stuff, not the sweetened)
Pinch of fine salt (if you use unsalted butter)

 Start by chopping and grinding the roasted and peeled hazelnut until you get a fine flour. It should be almost like a paste as it starts to release the oils in the nuts.
 Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until you've got a homogeneous paste. I used a food processor which really makes this so much easier to make. But you can do it by hand and feel proud of your effort afterwards. 
And that's it. Couldn't be simpler. Now you just need some toasted bread and to dig in.

1 comment:

Lars Lassen said...

Hey

Nice one! Think I'll try it with real chocolate insteed of cocoa powder. A nice christmas surprice for the family.

keep up the good work from spain :o)