Sunday 28 February 2010

Chili con Carne - It's in the mix!!!

Just when I was able to continue my blog taking pictures with my new mobile instead of my old camera (which fell to the floor) my new mobile too is experiencing technical dificulties and has been sent off to repairs due to a faulty speaker. So I've dug up some old photos from my harddrive of a nice chili con carne I made last year. This is emergency cooking at its best. When you have nothing but minced meat and a can of beans, what do you do but make a nice soothing pot of chili con carne. The key to a good chili is the spicemix. Try out this one:

500g minced meat
1 tbsp oil
1 onion
1 can of tomatoes
1 can of beans (precooked)
Chile (after taste)
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dry oregano
2.5 tsp salt
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp cocoa powder
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne
Sour cream


Mix all the spices together.

Fry the onion and the meat. I'm using onions that came already in the tomato sauce. When the meat is browned, add the spices.

Add the tomato. Cook for 5 minutes.

Add the beans. Heat them through for 5 minutes.

And there you have it. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and some bread on the side.

No comments: