Tuesday 9 March 2010

Øllebrød - Danish bear bread porridge

This is perhaps one of the more bizzare recipes you'll find on my blog and you might think I've lost my mind, but bear with me a second and let me explain. Øllebrød, which translates to 'beer-bread', was a traditional part of the Danish diet up until the 1800s. There are two competing theories of the origin of this dish. One claims that it originated in the monasteries where bread would be dipped in beer to soften it and the leftover beer mixed with crumbs would then be eaten the next day. The other theory have the peasant Danes throwing their leftover bread and beer into a large port above the fire. This would then slowly cook and eaten throughout the next day, morning and afternoon. I was introduced to it by my grandparents who used to cook it for me as a substantial breakfast during my summer holidays. And maybe because I've been raised on this stuff I don't find it as repelling as most of the people I've shown it to. It definetely won't be for everyone, but those who dares will be rewarded with one of the most solid breakfast I know. In fact, I've been eating this almost every morning for the last 6 or 7 years and notice a huge difference throughout the day the days I've had a different breakfast. Trust me, this is good for you. No more sugar coated cereals or white bread breakfast.
For the brave, you'll need:
500g dark, whole grain rye bread
1 can of beer (preferably dark beer, and don't worry, the alcohol will evaporate. It's perfectly safe for children)
2 tbsp sugar
Enough water cover it

Start by crumbling the bread in a pot with a thick base.

Add the sugar and pour in the beer. Pour water in until the bread is completely covered. Then cover it with a lid and leave it to soak overnight.

Heat it slowly while stirring now and again so it doesn't catch. You'll see the bread starting to disintergrate and form a paste. When this happens stir until it all has the consistency of porridge and you're done. It's that simple.

Some people prefer to eat it like it is, others with cream or whipped cream. Personally, I have it with cold milk as I love the contrast of warm and cold, bitter (bread) and sweet (milk).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I think I'm going to have to try this while in Denmark this semester. You should definitely check out my food blog I'll be updating while in Denmark...
hyggelicious.blogspot.com/

Chris said...

It really fills you up! I have started enjoying it everytime I bake a loaf that doesn't pass inspection :)

David Skytte said...

Glad you like it. most people frown upon hearing mixing beer and bread. But it's really good once you get the taste for it. And yes, it sure fills you for a long time.

Anonymous said...

I have missed this and was looking for the recipe, it is a bread breakie