Saturday 20 March 2010

Simplest of Recipes - Fried Pineapple

Recently, BBC had an article on the rise of lazy food. Basically it's about the increase in sales of prepared vegetables such as peeled potatoes, diced onions or mixed salad in a bag. After reading it I thought about why people would make such short cuts. One part is probably because they have arthritis or similar limitation in their use of their hands. This group is pardoned, of course, but I doubt that illness alone counts for the 17-40% sales increase in a year. The argument is that peole don't have time to cook. Yet, the time spent at Internet or watching television at home is ridicolously high. Priorities, I say... And peeling a potato doesn't really take that long, now does it? Which leads me to why I think people are being lazy: I think they simply don't like getting their hands dirty. After all, when peeling a potato you might get soil under your nails, yuk! Or even worse, you'll get sticky fruit juice on your fingers, or god forbid, you'll have to wash a knife and cutting board. Seriously, if you can't prepare your own vegetables, what has the world come to. But for those few poor souls out there, for whom cooking is an ordeal, I offer my service with this simplest of simplest dessert. I've seen you can buy chunks of pineapple (although I sinned and bought a real one, with sticky leaves and all), and apart from that you just need Malibu (lazy cooks are probably drunks anyway) and a dollop of ice cream (again, sorry I made my own).

Fry your chunks of pineapple in a bit of butter on high heat. This can also be done on the grill, in which case you should probably use a whole slice.

Turn the pieces when golden brown. Fry for another minutes then add some Malibu or normal rum. Let it evaporate.

Serve warm with a dollop of vanilla ice cream on top.

No comments: