Sunday 20 September 2009

Judiones - Jumbo beans

All summer I had secretly been waiting for the temperatures to drop so I could make my favourite autumn/winter dish - judiones. Judiones are these masive beans as you can see from the pictures below. I know this is not a dish everyone can make as a couple of the things are hard to come by if you don't live in Spain. It is, however, easy to substitute or leave out some of the things for a similarly delicious dish. The base is a sofrito which is a sauce made of slowly fried vegetables and tomato sauce. It is equally good for pasta, meat, chicken, etc. If you can't find judones, any kind of bean or legume would be able to take its place. Chorizos are in more and more supermarkets around the world but could be left out and you'd have a vegetarian dish. The hueso de jamon, which is a piece of bone from the Spanish cured serrano ham, could be replaced by any bone. But if you manage to get these different ingredients together, I promise you that you will have a mouth-watering, wholesome dish that will keep you warm throughout the dark days of winter. Here's what you need:
Ingredients:
500g judiones de la granja (previously soaked in water for 24 hours)
Sofrito (sauce):
3 tbsp olive oil
2 onions
2 carrots
1 large red pepper
1 celery stalk
2 cloves of garlic
1 1/2 tsp Spanish paprika
1/2 tsp hot paprika
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 can of peeled tomatoes
1 cup of chicken stock
1 tbsp sherry
Stock for beans:
1 hueso de jamon (see text above)
3 chorizos
1 carrot
1 celery stalk
1 small onion
2 cloves
1 bayleaf
1 can of cider
boiling water
Fresh parsley

Here are the judione beans after having soaked in water for 24 hours. As you can see, they are massive. Throw away the water.

Clean and chop the vegetables for the sofrito very finely. You want tiny pieces.

Start by frying the onion in the olive oil. When they become translucent, add the rest of the veggies. Fry slowly under lid at low heat for 45-60 minutes, stirring now and then so it doesn't stick to the base.

Meanwhile, start preparing the rest of the ingredients for the stock. Cut the vegetables roughly, and part the chorizoo in 3-4 pieces.

Heat some olive oil in a pot (I'm using and pressure cooker, but any deep pot will work). Fry the veggies for a minute or two, then add the chorizo and the hueso de jamon.

Add the judione beans.

Pour over the cider.

Add the cloves and bayleaf and fill it up with boiling water until everything is covered.

Cook under lid for 45-60 minutes if you have a pressure cooker, or until the beans are tender.

Back to the sofrito. Mix the flour, paprika and thyme.

When the vegetables have sauteed slowly for 45 minutes and are completely cooked, add the spice mix. Turn up the heat and fry it for 2-3 minutes to cook the starch in the flour.

Blend the tomatoes and pour them over the vegetables.

Add the chicken stock.

And add the sherry. Leave it to simmer under lid for 30 minutes.

When the beans are done, remove the liquid and as much of the vegetableas you can along with the hueso, the bayleaf and the cloves. Don't throw the liquid away but save it for next time you cook rise. Absolutely delicious.

Pour the sofrito over the beans. Cook it together for 20 minutes.

Add some fresh parsley just before serving.

And there you have it, the dish that made me wish for winter. Enjoy!

22 comments:

ReneeRothmann said...

Hi, I am in Oakland, California and a big fan of your blog. I like your writing, the choices of things to cook, and the great photos. I am making the judiones today (since 7:30 am!) and the house smells wonderful. I found the beans at Berkeley Bowl, but they called them corona beans. They are gigantic! If I could figure out how to attach a photo I would.

David Skytte said...

Hi! Thank you for your wonderful comment. You've made my day. I hope your beans turned out great. If you want you can send a photo to my email: davidskytte@gmail.com and I can upload it in a special "fan picture" post. Have a great day! David

Anonymous said...

We had this dish last month when we were in Segovia.I made it tonight and it was delicious!!

David Skytte said...

Hi "Anonymous"
I'm glad you liked them. It's always great to get some positive feedback on my recipes. I still think it's my favorite dish. However, it's not really a summer dish, at least not when it's 40ºC outside. Just too hard to digest in the heat :) But if you get the chance to try them on a visit, definitely, go for it any time.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I arrived in Arroyomolinas Spain two weeks ago and began a tapas and menú "crawl" that continued for one straight week! First tapa: judiones! First course for our first menú: judiones! Yes, we brought some home from Spain. Thanks for the recipe. I'm throwing the beans in the water immediately! Jim and Sharon

Vicki said...

Just returned from Spain after visiting Segovia and having the most amazing beans. I bought some while I was there and can't wait to try this out. Quick question...you mention a can of cider. Are you referring to apple cider, or is this sparkling cider?

David Skytte said...

I use apple cider. It's quite dry and can easily be replaced with white wine. Or left out all together. I hope they turn out wonderfully.

Unknown said...

David, thank you for the recipe. Should I use smoked paprika or 'regular'? The only one labeled "Spanish paprika" in my store is smoked. Also, all I can get is smoked ham hocks, so I want to be sure I don't ruin this with more smokey flavor than intended. Thanks so much!

David Skytte said...

Hi, smoked paprika goes best with this dish. The sofrito also had a bit of "hot paprika", but you can use a dash of cayenne in stead for that. As for the "hueso de Jason", it's a very unique flavor and hard to replicate. However, any piece of pork bone with do to add some flavor. If it's already smoked, I'd go a bit lighter on the paprika. Hope it turns out wonderful.

Unknown said...

Thanks! It was wonderful, and we're eating the leftovers tonight. I used a bottle of hard cider since I can only buy apple cider in a half gallon bottle and I don't otherwise drink it.

David Skytte said...

I'm glad you liked it. I invite you to try some of my other Spanish recipes on my blog. I'm sure you'll find something you like.

Anonymous said...

Hi, David. Is Hueso de jamon anything like a ham hock?

David Skytte said...

Yes and no. Only in as much as it's the same part of the pig. Hueso de jamon is from the dry-cured Serrano ham or Iberian ham, where the leg has been salted and hung to dry cure between 18 and 48 months. It gives it a salty and almost smokey flavor. As it's probably nearly impossible to get hold of outside Spain, a ham hock bone would substitute just perfectly (although without the exact same flavor profile). Any bone will be better than no bone. I've even used a lamb's bone once in lack of anything else. Good luck and happy cooking

Michael Huizar, 9 generations in the Sacramento Valley. said...

My girl of 24 years is from Madrid,
SHE SWEARS BY JUDIONES - AND NOW,
She she says her mom would be very proud of this Californian.
Thank you thank you thank you.

Michael Huizar, 9 generations in the Sacramento Valley. said...

My girl of 24 years is from Madrid,
SHE SWEARS BY JUDIONES - AND NOW,
She she says her mom would be very proud of this Californian.
Thank you thank you thank you.

Unknown said...

We just came back from Spain. Spent some time in Segovia. I had a soup made with these gigantic white beans. It had Chorizo as well. It was delicious! Do you have a recipe for this

David Skytte said...

Hi Amy, I'm not sure exactly what recipe it is. But you could add extra liquid, blend it (without the beans and meat) and add the beans and chorizo back in afterwards. Hope this helps

Anonymous said...

Hi David:

I had this recipe bookmarked for a long time before I was able to try it. I found judiones imported from Spain online and shelled out big bucks for a kilo. I doubled the recipe and used a ham bone and chorizo from hogs I had raised myself. I followed your instructions to the letter, and everything came out perfect. Thanks so much.

-- Ivan Weiss, Vashon WA

David Skytte said...

Hi Ivan, I'm so happy you liked it and hope it was worth the wait. David

Unknown said...

Thank you for this, so delicious!

Annie said...

Had this a few times in Segovia last week, and it was delicious, but varied from restaurant to restaurant. One of my companions had a version with a lot of pork fat. Mine always seemed to be vegetarian. So have made a quick store-cupboard stove-top version at home today - vegetables, white beans, tinned tomatoes, lots of paprika and seasoning. No fat, no added sugar, no flour (gluten), no meat, no dairy, so everyone just about catered for.

Afterwards found your recipe, and good to know I was going along the right lines. Will try it with the other ingredients you suggest depending on who is going to be at the meal.

thanks

Abuelita said...

I loved the Judiones when I was in Segovia several years ago and was pleased to find La Catedral de Astoria judiones at Rancho Gordo. I made your recipe today in my Instant Pot and they came out perfectly. I find the Sofrito to be quite sweet. Adding salt helped. I checked to see if the tomatoes were sweetened, they weren’t. Is it normal for it to be sweet?
Thanks,
Juanita