Saturday 19 September 2009

Sticky Lemon Chicken

In need for something fast and delicious to cook and eat, I browsed through my numerous cooking books and found Gordon Ramsay's Sticky Lemon Chicken which looked simple and had just the few ingredients I happened to have in my kitchen. Those were:
1 chicken cut into pieces (6-8)
sea salt and black pepper
3-4 tbsp olive oil
1 lemon
3 cloves of garlic
a few thyme sprigs
spalsh of sherry vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 dl boiling water
3 tbsp honey
flat leaf parsley


I didn't have a whole chicken but had just bought two sets of legs which I gave a kind treatment with my kitchen axe. I chopped the lower part ofthe drumsticks off and the rest in 3 pieces.

I heated the frying pan to high heat, added the olive oil and put in the pieces, skin-side-down, with salt and pepper to brown them on all sides.

Meanwhile I sliced the lemon finely and threw away the end bits.

For me, the fastest way to peel a garlic is by cutting off the bottom, slice it from bottom to top and then crush it lightly with the flat side of a knife. The skin will now come clean off. After that I just placed it under the flat end of the knife again and whacked it once and the garlic was grushed.

When the chicken is nicely tanned, go ahead and turn down the heat and add the garlic.

Then add the soy sauce and the sherry vinegar. Reduce to half.

Place the lemon slices on top. Add 2 dl of boilingwater.

Cut the thyme finely with some scissors over the chicken. Cook for 10-15 minutes depending on the sizes of the chicken pieces.

When there is 5 minutes left, add the honey over the chicken and turn up the heat a bit to reduce it to a syrup.

Roll up your parsley to a small bunch and slice it finely with a sharp knife.

Sprinkle it over the finished dish. Serve it with rice or mashed potatoes.

No comments: