Saturday 18 July 2009

Chicken Stock

For many years I used those dry, salty cubes which on the package promise a rich flavourful stock. And I wondered why my soups or other dishes never tasted as great as promised... Then I tried making my own stock, just like my grandmother would have and, wow! It cannot even compare. And as you will see, it's really simple. Just make a big portion and freeze it in smaller portions. By the way, the difference between a stock and a broth is that the broth uses more protein (meat) and is usually regarded as a finished product, where as stock is "just" a flavourful liquid used as a base for other dishes.
Ingredients:
1 leek
2 carrots
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
some thyme
1 tbsp flour
2-3 tbsp tomato sauce
1 bay leaf
aprx. 1 kg chicken bones

sf The ingredients.

Chop the veggies into similar sized pieces.

Heat the oil in the big pot.

Fry the veggies until they are light golden.

Add the tomato.

Add the flour which you stir in and fry for a few minutes to get rid off the starch flavour.

Add the chicken bones.

Cover with water, add thyme and bay leaf. That's it. Now just sit back for 3 hours while the broth brews.

Well, you might want to check it now and again to skim off any scum forming on top.

After 3 hours of simmering, you'll have an amazing stock. Taste if it needs salts. Freeze in smaller portions so you always have homemade stock available. Just look at the picture: Flavour in a glass.

2 comments:

Sue Turner-Smith said...

Please do not use laurel - it's poisonous. Use bay leaf instead.

David Skytte said...

Thanks! My mistake. I live in Spain where it's called "hoja de laurel" and it must have slipped. I'll look carefully through my recipes to see if I've made te same mistake elsewhere.