Thursday 9 July 2009

Environmental-friendly Raw Lasagna

I can't remember where I found this recipe, but it's copied off some place on the internet. When I was small I was quite suspicious of most vegetables, and I don't think i would ever have imagined eating a vegetable lasagna... especially not a raw one. Time proved me wrong. Maybe you are not a vegetarian, or in fact find vegetables suspicious too, but try this one and you might just change your mind. Plus, you'll be doing the environment a favour by hardly using any energy (electricity/gas) cooking this.
Ingredients:
150g raw, unsalted cashew nuts
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
4 ripe tomatoes
lots of fresh basil
1-2 cloves of garlic
1 small cup of sundried tomatoes
salt
oregano
1 squash
2 handfuls of fresh spinch
Put the cashews in water for 4 hours.

Here are the ingredients for the tomato sauce: tomatoes, lots of fresh basil, garlic, sundried tomatoes, salt, oregano.

Put it in the blender. Blitz it for 30 sec.

And your tomato sauce is ready.

Clean the blender and drain the cashews. Add 2 spoonfuls of lemon juice.

Add some sea salt.

Blitz it and we have made a "substitute cheese".

Cut a squash in fine slices.

This will substitute your "pasta".

Get a coulpe of handfuls of fresh clean spinach.

Chop it coarsely.

I'm going to build an individual size portion. You can also make it in a big tray. I saw food molds were pretty expensive, so I thought I might just as well recycle an old tomato can. I told you this recipe was eco-friendly, didn't I. Start with a layer of squash.

Then add the cashew "cheese".

Then some spinach.

Tomato sauce. And then repeat the entire process in the same order. End with a layer of "cheese". Sprinkle a bit of oregano on top. Carefully remove mold.

And voila. Isn't that pretty? And really tasty too, even if you aren't a veggie or health person, I'm sure you will like this.

No comments: